Sunday, March 20, 2005

go frock yourself

I've been to Fashion Week LA and it ain't pretty. I'm not referring to the clothes, I'm referring to the bitchy hipper-than-thou attitudes being thrown around. Take a look at the Fashion Week Daily website, which proclaims, "IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU (and the clothes)". I love that the aside is in parentheses and lower caps, which suggests an afterthought. Oh yeah, that's right, we're here for the clothes, not just to congratulate ourselves on being fabulous. At least The Daily's Peter Davis wrote a big 'ol blurb on how right on Shopper Shuttle is (Full disclosure: I authored the company's marketing and PR materials).

The majority of attendees I've talked to seem to be chill, genuine, fashion industry professionals. I haven't heard anybody attempt the lame, "Do you know who I am?" line, but maybe I just don't get around enough. Comments and questions overheard (remember to add a lot of attitude) while in a vehicle transporting attendees to a vast expanse of free parking include, "Did you see that she gained ALL her weight back?", "We are not from here, we are French.", "Eech, who did her makeup?", and "I'm not going to that show if it rains."

Probably the biggest event of the week was the Marc Jacobs event on Melrose. I heard a fair share of snarky comments re Anna Wintour, which is surprising since most people in the industry are afraid to say anything bad about that diva. I didn't attend that show as I attended the US premiere of Mughal-e-Azam at the Writer's Guild Theatre instead. I think I made the wiser choice.

Bob Geldof and Celia hate each other's shirts but can smile about it.

No comments: