Wednesday, May 03, 2006

monday march

I took part of the day off from writing to participate in the May 1 March in downtown Los Angeles. Adam, good friend and event planner extraordinaire, wanted to join me, Jim, and my Reuters photographer loftmate, Lucas. Unfortunately, Lucas was kicked off the roof of the building next door to the penthouse, so he lost that great vantage point from which to shoot. But he still managed to rock hard, take a look at this picture.

As I'm sure you've all read, Monday's march wasn't as large as Gran Marcha. But 300,000 is nothing to sneeze at, especially the day after Fiesta Broadway. Since I'm so short, I could barely see above the crowd. And although being with two really tall guys means they're constantly blocking my view, sometimes, they do come in handy. Like when I need a picture taken from a higher vantage point.



I didn't take as many pictures as Jim, but I managed to get a few good ones. This one of Adam is one of my favorites. He's waving both an American and a Scottish flag as we walked down Broadway.



Even deer were protesting.





There were novel uses for the flag.



And some very interesting signs.


"Bush is the criminal"

"Arnold says, 'It is just unfair to have all those people coming across and have the border open the way it is...' Schwarzenegger, Son of a Nazi"





After it was all over downtown, I took these pictures of the crowd dispersing after the march from Jim's window.





Now I need to get back to work.

No comments: