Wednesday, May 31, 2006

dinner and a movie - last remaining seats

I just looked at my calendar and realized not only that summer is here, but that I've scheduled myself tightly.

Tonight Jim and I will be joining the L.A. Conservancy as they celebrate two decades of presenting classic films and live entertainment in the historic movie palaces of Los Angeles. The Last Remaining Seats will take up a few of our Wednesdays this summer (May 31 - July 5) as they're focusing on classic films that feature Los Angeles. Among others, the lineup includes "A Star Is Born" (1950), "Rebel Without a Cause" (1955), Chinatown (1974) and "The Mark of Zorro" (1940), which opens the series at the Los Angeles Theater.

It's a good thing that we got our tickets early, a few of the nights have already sold out. If they're still available, tickets are $18 ($15 for Conservancy members), though remaining tickets on the night of the event go for $20 (cash or check only) at the door.

Now the only thing left is to decide is where to dine before catching a show. Thankfully, a handful of downtown dining establishments are participating in "Nights on the Town", offering specials for theater-goers and anyone else dining downtown on Wednesday nights from May 31st to July 5th. Most of my downtown favorites are participating - Banquette, Pete's, Lost Souls Cafe, Rocket Pizza, Warung, Pitfire Pizza, and Restaurant Ensenada (one of downtown's best unsung), but I'm really looking forward to trying Cicada (4 course dinner for $50!). I used to go to Rex Il Ristorante back when they occupied the space Cicada is in now, so it'll be a nice trip in the time machine. There are a couple of other new places I want to try, 626 Reserve on Spring, and I hear there's a new Filipino restaurant on Spring called Asian Noodles (although they're not participating). Jim will have to make the call since I'm paralyzed by indecision.

I noticed the Series Star Sponsors at the bottom of their website - John and Donna Crean. Years ago I was at a party at the Orange County home of John and Donna. And when I say home, what I really mean is palatial estate. The party was a fundraiser to benefit Alzheimer's research and you couldn't swing a dead cat over your head without hitting a millionaire. They raised a lot of money that night and I know that night wasn't an aberration. Thank Buddha for the Creans and others like them, and all the good they do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Celia, did you attend the LRS showing at the Palace Theatre of the Harold Lloyd movies on June 14th? I wish I had seen your post before going downtown, as my wife and I had a hard time deciding where to eat beforehand (we ended up at Cole's).