Friday, June 02, 2006

go dutch tonight

Looking for something to do tonight? Get over to the Natural History Museum for their First Fridays Series, specifically Conversations Los Angeles Leiden: Nature and the City, a collaboratie exhibit between a group of Los Angeles artists and the Naturalis Museum in The Netherlands.

I have to admit, at first it sounded a little ambitious for the end of a difficult week. But this is the final First Friday of the season and the last chance to explore Sonic Scenery or the Mysterious Bog People after hours. I guess I could sit around and listen to what Ed Moses, Michael C. McMillen, and John Outterbridge (some of the artists participating) have to say about it all. That won't take too much out of me. Afterwards, Jon Hassel will perform his sonic sculpture, Solid State. I have no idea what a sonic sculpture is, but I have a feeling it goes really well with alcohol.

I haven't seen the Bog People exhibit yet. Jim and I checked out Sonic Scenery: Music for Collections when it first opened. I got a video iPod for Christmas (thanks again, Angel!) and had only been using it for going to the gym, but it came in handy for the music accompanying the exhibit. Nice tunes. I better make sure it's full of juice before we go.

June 2, 2006, 7:00 pm - 11:00 pm
CONVERSATIONS: LOS ANGELES LEIDEN:
Nature and the City
· Admission $15, Museum members and students (w/ ID) $12.
· Tickets at www.ticketweb.com or by phone at (866) 468-3399.
· Located at 900 Exposition Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90007. Get directions.
· Public parking lot available on Menlo Avenue across from the Museum.
· Please enter the Museum from the South entrance closest to parking.
· For more information e-mail performances(at)nhm.org or call (213) 763–DINO.

No comments: