Thursday, July 14, 2005

an excerpt

Spring Street for His Darkness

Everyone on Spring Street wished on the new moon.
Everyone on Spring Street is nursing a hasty heart.
Everyone on Spring Street has climbed into bed with a ghost.
Everyone on Spring Street has been ripped apart.
I asked Gronk how long it'd take
to get used to the noises on Spring Street.
He said soon it would sound like the ocean.
What about the fire engines?
"Those are the birds."

--Lewis MacAdams

I missed Lewis MacAdams’ participation in the Aloud Series at the Central Library this past Tuesday. He was scheduled to read from a new collection of poems, The River: Books One, Two & Three, (published by Blue Press in June of 2005), which takes the Los Angeles River as its metaphor. I’m so out of it, I didn’t realize I missed it until the next morning. Damn. Did anyone reading this attend the event? I try to stay on top of these things, I really do.

No comments: