Thursday, January 20, 2005

to meet and date in l.a., 33 1/3 (mostly all new stories)

For this week's LA Insight, the topic is dating in Los Angeles.

3. Your worst first date?
I forget where we went for dinner, but I remember things were going well. Afterwards, we went to a Laker game (great seats). Shortly after half-time as people were headed back to their seats, a beautiful black girl walked past us. Everyone around us stopped what they were doing to watch her walk past. I am sure my mouth was slack and agape in awe. She was stunning. I turned to him to say, "Ohmygod, she's gorgeous." He had this look on his face like he just smelled something bad. He replied, unconvincingly, "She's okay." Maybe he was just being polite? No such luck. He continued, "It's just that when I was in prison, it was always the black guys who started shit." Stunned silence. Did I mention that his voice carried? Why was he still talking? As others around us turned to see what asshole said that and who the hell would go out with him, I prayed for the earth to open up - and swallow him whole. I don't remember the rest of the date. I couldn't get home fast enough.

No comments: