Wednesday, December 07, 2005

sunday morning with william goldman

William Goldman was at the Creative Screenwriting Expo and along with thousands of others, so was I. Here's a pic and some of the curmudgeonly things he said:

William Goldman at CS Expo 2005

He opened by proclaiming that the most important movie of our time is Jaws. Then he warmed up a little.

On Hollywood:

"They're giving us, essentially, shit. This past year was horrible. The Weather Man, I haven't seen it yet. It's Nic Cage, it's a family drama, he won an Academy Award, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. No one wants to see it."

On living in Los Angeles:

"It's pretty here, that's why you live in Los Angeles... I live in New York. This is a tough town for for failure or disappointment. Where does Mike Ovitz eat?"

On Bill Murray in Broken Flowers:

"The basic premise of the movie is flawed. I don't believe Bill Murray fucked four gorgeous women at any time. I don't believe any of it. Brad Pitt, I believe. He fucks everybody."

On writing screenplays:

"I never saw a screenplay until I was 33 years old."

"It's so hard to do that you better have a passion for it."

"The first ten pages had better be terrific because that's all they'll fucking read."

"I try to make my scripts a reading experience."

On his screenplays:

"I never saw the movie All The President's Men until Deep Throat revealed himself recently. It was pretty good."

"Buttercup's Baby is the sequel to Princess Bride and I've been dying to write it for years... I don't like writing and I don't think the act of writing is a pleasurable one. It takes too long. Princess Bride was optioned in 1973 and released in 1987."

"Princess Bride is the most important thing I've ever written. I don't know why, it just means more to me."

Lastly, he mentioned that he is currently working on a Broadway musical based on Princess Bride:

"It's going slowly. Broadway musicals are agony, I don't know why we're doing it."

No comments: